Friday 3 October 2014

Pumpkin Omelet




“Pumpkin Everythang”

Well hello my greedy guys and gals, welcome to the second annual greedy girl pumpkin month. If you were here with me last year you will now realize that every October I will dedicate the recipes to this one round orange gourde.  Last year I made 9 pumpkin recipes everything from soups to panna cotta.  If you’re like me, you will agree that breakfast is the best meal of the day. This recipe is my attempt to combine my favorite breakfast dish with a not so conventional ingredient. Let’s face it, when was the last time you ever had a pumpkin omelet? 
  

I wanted pumpkin to be integrated at all levels not just simply as a filling. I incorporated the pumpkin into the cheese sauce and also beat it into the eggs.  The omelet really taste delicious just as any normal omelet the only difference is it has a slight sweetness which I know is naturally from the pumpkin. Overall its very delicious, and easy. If you have never made a cheese sauce for your omelets you should probably start. They add so much more flavor than just adding plain cheese directly to the omelet. 

I can tell you if you’re more of a brunch person, and you’re more interested in a thanksgiving brunch than a dinner. This would make a great meal and a perfect conversation starter as persons would be shocked to know that pumpkin is in the delicious omelet they just ate.




Pumpkin cheese sauce
2 tablespoon sage butter
3 teaspoon flour
1 cup milk
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese

Omelet
2 eggs
1 egg white
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup puree pumpkin
2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon chopped sweet pepper
2 tablespoon chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoon chopped onion




Greedy tips:

  • This recipe calls for pumpkin puree, which you can find in most grocery stores. If you can’t find the pumpkin puree just place ½ to a ¼ of a pumpkin (skin on an all) in a pressure cooker, fill just to about 3 to 4 inches up and pressure on high for 15 to 20 minutes. When it’s done release the pressure and just scoop the pumpkin away from the skin, allow to cool before use
  • Flipping the perfect omelet; I find that omelets tend to break when the top is too runny and the fillings in the center are too heavy. A trick I use is to start the fire on high and sauté my fillings. I add my eggs to the filling So they cook inside the egg rather than sitting in the center of the omelet.  Once the eggs are added to the pot I pull the sides in while tilting the pot, allowing the wet center to run to the edges. Then I turn the flames down to medium and cover the pot to allow the top of the eggs to cook simultaneously as the bottom. Once I see the top is firm I flip it over add my cheese to the center and fold in half. Works every time! Make sure not to do this with a flame that is too low, as it will create too much steam and your eggs will still break when flipped. 
  • As for the sage butter simply melt plain butter with the addition of 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped sage or a teaspoon of ground sage. When you have time you can do what I do. Make your own herb butters cubes and store them int the freezer. Blend the herbs with a mixtures of olive oil and butter and set in ice-cube trays once hard store in freezer bags.  

Xoxo Greedygirl

No comments:

Post a Comment